NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
It’s the second year in a row the Jaguars have made the first selection in the draft. The team picked quarterback Trevor Lawrence last year.
Walker was a standout defensive lineman for Georgia, ending his career with a national championship before he declared for the draft. In 13 games in 2021, he had 33 total tackles and 7.5 sacks. He started to move up draft boards as the draft approached.
Walker will line up near linebacker Josh Allen and K’Lavon Chaisson as well as Malcolm Brown, Foley Fatukasi and Roy Robertston-Harris.
Walker had a message for Jaguars fans in his post-draft press conference.
“I’d first like to start off with thanking the whole upstairs organization, owner, the GM, the coaching staff, everybody for giving me this great opportunity, and I promise you, you won’t regret it. I’m ready to work, though,” he said.
Aidan Hutchinson, a standout defensive lineman at Michigan favored by many draft experts to go No. 1, went No. 2 to the Detroit Lions.
Hutchinson led the Big Ten Conference with 14 sacks. He also had 62 total tackles and was third in the conference with 17 tackles for a loss.
Michigan finished 12-2 and made the College Football Playoff for the first time.
The Houston Texans had the No. 3 pick and selected cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. out of LSU. Stingley was rated as one of the best defensive backs in the draft. He only played in three games for the Tigers in 2021 and had eight tackles, including 3.5 tackles for a loss.
Stingley had six interceptions during his freshman year and had been a highly touted prospect ever since.
The draft saw the Tennessee Titans trade A.J. Brown to the Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals acquire Marquise Brown from the Baltimore Ravens and Kenny Picket being the first quarterback taken off the board at pick No. 20.
The NFL Draft is in Las Vegas for the first time.
Here’s how the first round played out.
- Jaguars: DE Travon Walker (Georgia)
- Lions: DE Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan)
- Texans: CB Derek Stingley Jr. (LSU)
- Jets: CB Sauce Gardner (Cincinnati)
- Giants: DE Kayvon Thibodeaux (Oregon)
- Panthers: OT Ikem Ekwonu (NC State)
- Giants: OT Evan Neal (Alabama)
- Falcons: WR Drake London (USC)
- Seahawks: OT Charles Cross (Seahawks)
- Jets: WR Garrett Wilson (Ohio State)
- Saints: WR Chris Olave (Ohio State)
- Lions: WR Jameson Williams (Alabama)
- Eagles: DT Jordan Davis (Georgia)
- Ravens: S Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame)
- Texans: OG Kenyon Green (Texas A&M)
- Commanders: WR Johan Dotson (Penn State)
- Chargers: OG Zion Johnson (Boston College)
- Titans: WR Treylon Burks (Arkansas)
- Saints: OT Trevor Penning (Northern Iowa)
- Steelers: QB Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh)
- Chiefs: CB Trent McDuffie (Washington)
- Packers: LB Quay Walker (Georgia)
- Bills: CB Kaiir Elam (Florida)
- Cowboys: OT Taylor Smith (Tulsa)
- Ravens: C Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa)
- Jets: DE Jermaine Johnson (Florida State)
- Jaguars: LB Devin Lloyd (Utah)
- Packers: DT Devonte Wyatt (Georgia)
- Patriots: OG Cole Strang (Chattanooga)
- Chiefs: DE George Karlaftis (Purdue)
- Bengals: S Daxton Hill (Michigan)
- Vikings: S Lewis Cine (Georgia)